Ridiculously high temperatures and the need to dress professionally – summer-inspired work outfit featuring cool layers and soft colors.
This week was officially the first week of summer and we all felt it here in Maryland. A heat wave brought nearly 100 degree humid air across the northeast bringing with it some awful storms on Tuesday. With these ridiculously high temperatures and the need to dress professionally, I’ve decided to dedicate this week’s fresh picks to cool summer outfits that are still work appropriate.
I work in Washington, DC where there are lots of tall, concrete buildings on every block. Not much air moves in the midst of downtown DC and it can feel suffocating at times. The mornings can be cool but by the afternoon and early evening, temperatures are blazing.
I love to dress in layers. Between the cool mornings, hot afternoons and subzero degree office temperatures, there is constant removing and adding of clothing. I also love to mix and match my work wardrobe so I usually look for neutral separates that can be worn many different ways. Look stylish and chic but save money while doing it!
Below I put together a summer-inspired work outfit featuring cool layers and soft colors.
1. Ally Fashion Stripe Edge to Edge Ponte Blazer, $35.99 – This is the perfect statement blazer. With a full-length sleeve it can be transitioned from summer to winter w/ a neutral dress or separates. To dress it down, I could wear this blazer with ripped boyfriend jeans, a t-shirt and statement necklace.
2. Fossil Jacqueline small three-hand leather watch in light brown, $115 – I love the new look of small watches. Over a year ago, my fashion forecasting teacher predicted that small-face watches would start penetrating the market again and she was right. I think the smaller band is a lot easier to wear during the summer – less is more.
3. Rebecca Minkoff ‘Adeline’ tote in khaki, $295 – A structured bag that works perfectly for an everyday carryall. This bag is made from super lightweight saffiano leather, and features her newest design, an unlined bag – great for summer!
4. Choies Blue V-neck sleeveless Chiffon blouse, $18.99 – This inexpensive sleeveless blouse is perfect for layering and the light blue shade is a pretty pastel for summer. Wear the blouse and skirt alone for a look stylish and cool ensemble in the summer heat! Available in many different colors.
5. Chloe + Isabel Heritage Blossom convertible earrings, $48 – These beauties showcase a great color combination and really add that wow factor to an outfit. The best part – they’re convertible, yes convertible! Get your daily dose of sparkle with the mother-of-pearl studs, or attach the dazzling floral drop components to make an instant statement. This stunning 2-in-1 set makes for the perfect desk-to-dinner style embellishment!
6. Alice + Olivia Parson cotton miniskirt, $150 (40% off) – An orange/coral-y color and carefully placed pleats encapsulates girly summer style perfectly. Just enough flare for some fun, feminine glamour.
7. Nordstrom Vince Camuto ‘Emore’ leather sandal, $128.95 – One of the most popular shoes sold at Nordstrom two years in a row and for good reason! These babies are stylish and SO comfortable. I walk quite a bit in the city during my work week so I look for comfort when shoe shopping. Love the caged look and peep-toe! Available in black, cherry and tan (featured in post).
8. Starbucks Gradient Gold Cold Cup Tumbler (24 fl. oz.), $14.95 – Oh, Starbucks. Not only do you take my money every morning for that delicious scone and iced coffee but you also force me to shop while I wait in line. I’m not mad though. I could not pass up this adorable gold cup so it’s currently sitting on my desk. During the summer heat it’s important to drink lots of water so why not do so in style!
Stay cool, friends! Until next time…
Like this post? I appreciate any and ALL feedback. Leave me a comment, like or share if you feel inspired!